University of Sheffield Photo Soc

The Burning House

The Burning House is an online photo project that asks people the simple question: “If your house was burning, what would you take with you?”, and gets them to submit their answer in the form of a picture.

The resulting images of what people hold most dear are intriguing and beautifully intimate. Objects range from the practical to the sentimental to the downright inexplicable (a Barbie glitter head? A large bone?), and also include a few people and animals along the way.

The project states that “What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities”, and it’s certainly interesting to see the individual personality of each participant through their choices. Every picture is accompanied by the person’s name, age, location, occupation, and a written list detailing all the items that they would save.

So, dear PhotoSoc-ers, what would you take?

One Response

1. Sukh says:

i like this, its very interesting and im a little in awe of how people can have such important keep sakes.
    I myself would not care for anything in my house beyond my family themselves, i genuinely am struggling to find an attachment to any object in my possession that i would think about in a fire. Which i find a little bit sad in all honesty but i did enjoy having a rummage around the house to see if there was anything i would hunt down in a fire.