University of Sheffield Photo Soc

Forges

11 Responses

1. jack says:

Not too happy with 3 stars with no justification and no mention of free booze. Free booze is an automatic 6stars -_-

Still, it’s good appearing in papers!

2. Sophia says:

whyyy three stars?? how rude! :| and also who told her the exhibition was all about social issues?!

3. ksundaram says:

she has made it seem very very deep with all this talk about tackling social issues. There so much stuff about my pictures that is just bit too deep. And 3* , i agree with jack that free booze should get 6*!!!

4. fodsy says:

Well, by the sounds of all this we are on a crusade to cure the world of all social injustice. Still only 3 stars is out-freaking-rageous.

5. This definitely misinterpreted the whole point of the exhibition… which was to have a bit of fun and display our work! 3*s is a disgrace. Next time I see her she is getting the hairy side of my hand

6. Miki says:

I wasn’t happy with it either – mostly the unexplained 3* status, rather than the slightly bizarre take on the exhibition as an exercise in social critique, although that’s a bit annoying too. What’s wrong with art for art’s sake? It seems that simply wanting to show what our members can do, and enjoy doing, is obviously not meaningful enough to warrant a review.

7. jack says:

Bit of a fail considering she’s a 3rd year English student too if you ask me. Very frustrating to have lost 2 starts with for apparently no reason. Shall we reply? And get some people who visited to give their p.o.v?

lol…”mercy of the unknown” wtf is the point in a viewfinder then? :P

8. Miki says:

I think it’s probably BECAUSE she’s a 3rd year English student, unfortunately… it seems to be the standard viewpoint that’s drummed into you as the result of being forced to read far too much meaning into a text – that an artwork needs to have an engagement with social issues, otherwise it’s pointless. And even if you suspect that social criticism wasn’t the artist’s intention, you still have to write about it in those terms, otherwise your review isn’t ‘serious’ enough. Which is bloody stupid, because if you can’t understand and appreciate the art on its own terms then there’s no use trying to write about it. I don’t know if a response is justified though; it wasn’t exactly a negative review, just misguided :/

9. Peter says:

I have to say, I’m quite impressed that she managed to link my set somehow into social issues. Previously, I thought it was a set of things that I thought would make a good photo at the time. It was difficult trying to answer her questions about what message I was trying to give when the most I’d planned/prepared for any of them was to cycle to Stanedge Pole because I thought there might be a nice sunset.

10. jack says:

very well said miki!

11. fodsy says:

Also I would just like to add that my bright blue shirt and awesome jumper combo is awesome!!!!!!!!!!
    :D